Completing Tasks Online
You can earn $50 to $100 per month in cash and products by taking online surveys. Find survey sites by searching for “paid survey sites” online. Sign up for several survey sites to increase your chances of being selected for higher-paying surveys. Register with an email address, and check your email often so you can respond quickly to survey offers.
- Most surveys pay from $1 to $3, and the surveys generally take up to 45 minutes to complete.
- You might also get paid in gift cards, free products or by being entered in a sweepstakes.
- Never pay to participate in surveys.
Remote usability testing means getting paid to navigate a website for the first time and giving feedback to the website owner. Most tests take approximately 15 minutes, and you can get paid up to $10 for each test. A test involves performing a scenario on the client’s website and recording yourself doing it. For example, you might be asked to go through the process of selecting and purchasing an item on a retailer’s website.
- You need a computer with a microphone, an updated web browser and a high speed internet connection.
- Sites that pay you to test websites include User Testing, WhatUsersDo, UserLytics, UserFeel and YouEye.
Many families prefer the flexibility of using an online tutor. Depending on your background, you could be simply helping a child with homework or providing college-level support. You need to have your own computer and high speed internet. Experience required differs among companies. Some require “strong experience,” while others require a specific educational background. However, most companies do require a college degree.
- Some companies assign students to you, while others post your profile on their site and let customers select you.
- You can make anywhere from $9 to $30 per hour based on your educational background and the subject you teach.
- Sites that hire elementary-level tutors include Tutor.com, HomeworkHelp.com, Aim4a and Brainfuse.
- Kaplan hires SAT and ACT tutors.
Creating a Niche Website
Understand how a niche website works.
A niche website focuses on very targeted, specific information. The content must be specific, useful and interesting to your target audience. Successful niche websites get anywhere from 1,000 to 10,000 visitors per month.
You build content on a particular keyword, and you make passive income with Google Adsense or through affiliate links.
Find a profitable niche.
Starting with your interests, write down as many niche ideas as you can. Think about topics people might search online. Ideas include passions (like surfing or body building), fears (like spiders or speaking in front of crowds) and problems (like getting out of debt). Do keyword research to see it others are interested in the topic. Find out if a domain name is available that matches the keyword 100 percent.
- Use a keyword research tool to perform keyword research.
Set up the site.
Choose a website building platform, such as WordPress, Joomla or Drupal. Next, choose a domain name and web hosting for your site. The domain name is your web address. Web hosting is a service that connects your site to the internet. Once you have your domain name and web hosting, go to the control panel of your hosting account and install your website platform. Design your website by choosing and installing a theme.
- Popular web hosting companies include Bluehost and WPEngine.
Create content that people will find valuable and that will help you rank higher in the search engines. Keyword research can help you to find out what topics people are searching. Write content on these topics to improve your rank in the search engines. You cannot monetize without any visitors.
- Use a tool like Market Samurai to do keyword research.
- Put out advertisements to increase traffic to your site.
- Create a marketing campaign using social media outlets such as Facebook or Twitter.
Monetize your site.
Choose from several different strategies to monetize your website. You can have ads on your website and get paid when visitors click on them. Also, you can promote products, either your own or someone else’s, and get paid when people purchase.
- With Google Adsense, you install some code on your site that allows ads to appear on it. You get paid when visitors click on the ads.
- You can also sell advertising space on your website.
- Affiliate marketing means that you promote products for your niche. A link or banner advertising the product is displayed on your site. If visitors click on it and make a purchase, you receive a commission.
Writing Freelance Articles
Consider your expertise.
If you take the time to reflect on your experiences, you will realize that you have more knowledge about which to write than you might think. Begin by listing three assets that define you, such as your profession, a special hobby or a personality trait. Next, list three things that inspire you, such as religion, education or charity. Finally, list three of your dreams, such as getting married, traveling or spending more time with your children. These three lists should give you many ideas of topics about which you can write.
Learn principles of effective writing.
As a freelance writer, much of your work will likely be published on the internet. The principles of writing for the web differ slightly than writing for print. The content must still be high-quality and well-written, but the presentation must be adjusted for the way people read online material.
- Because of the low resolution of online text, readers tend to scan rather than read everything from top to bottom. Make your text easily scannable by breaking up text using descriptive headings and bullet points.
- Get to the point by using the inverted pyramid style. This means writing the conclusion first and then providing examples to support it.
- Make your copy effective by being concise and using simple language. Aim your writing to an eighth-grade reading level. Remove unnecessary or confusing words or terms.
- Include keywords and phrases that improve your ranking in the search engines.
When you first start out, you may have to accept work writing about a topic you don’t find all that interesting. You must keep an open mind and be willing to accept work that may not be in your desired field. However, as you continue to write, you not only learn about more topics, but you also build your reputation. With time, you can be choosier about assignments you want to accept.
- Browse the internet for freelancing websites that hire contractors to do work online.
When you first start out as a freelance writer, it can be hard to get work without any published samples. However, it is possible to get quality samples if you are willing to do some writing for free. First, you can publish content on your own blog or website. Also, you can write guest posts for someone else’s blog. Finally, you can write blog posts for free in exchange for a byline.
If you have located a client for whom you want to write, send pitches, which are topic ideas for articles. Write pitches that not only show your expertise, but also demonstrate your enthusiasm for the topic.
First, read the publication to which you are sending pitches to familiarize yourself with what they publish. If applicable, identify a specific section and send our pitch to the appropriate editor. Also, include a brief summary of who you are.
Create a writer website or blog.
A website not only demonstrates your technical ability, but it also creates an online hub that allows clients to connect to you. Keep the design of your website clean and uncluttered. Include examples of your work that demonstrate the kind of writing you do. Make the samples easy to find and to read, and make it easy for visitors to figure out how to contact you.
- A blog highlights your technical ability and showcases your ability to write blog posts. Your blog can be about different topics than those you write about for your clients. In fact, it should be on a topic that interests you. Visitors will see that you can not only write, but you can also build an online community. A good blog has the potential to earn you many referrals for more clients.
Selling Your Stuff Online
Find items to sell.
Purge your house. Set aside a few days or a weekend to clean out and declutter your house. Identify items to throw away, donate and sell. Categorize the items you want to sell. Different categories of items do better on different sites.
You can also go out and buy items for selling online at a mark-up.
- Books, CD’s and DVD’s sell well on Amazon.
- Collectibles, high-end clothing and small electronics sell well on eBay.
- Craigslist is best for generic items such as tools or toys.
Open sellers accounts.
Create accounts on Amazon, eBay and Craigslist. These platforms make it simple for sellers to set up accounts. You generally need to provide some personal information such as your name and address, and you may need to provide financial information for processing payments.
- Amazon sellers connect their checking accounts, and proceeds from sales are directly deposited into their checking accounts.
- eBay will either send your payments directly to your checking account or will deposit them in your PayPal account.
Learn then selling guidelines.
Each marketplace has guidelines that define what you can and cannot sell. State and federal laws also impact what items are prohibited. In general, you cannot sell alcohol, weapons, service contracts, animals or event tickets. Also, while not always prohibited, you may find restrictions on how you can sell items in some categories, such as art, gift cards and coupons.
publish these guidelines on their websites.
Research selling prices of items similar to yours.
Look up completed sales or current listings of items similar to yours. Find the high- and low-end prices, and price your object around the median price level. If you want your item to sell quickly, price it at the low end. The condition of the item also affects the price. Items in poorer condition should be priced at the lower end. Also, consider how many listings there already are of items similar to yours. If many similar items will be competing with yours, you may have to set the price lower to get the sale.
Consider selling in lots.
A lot is a collection of similar items that is sold in a group. For example, if you have a collection of books, magazines or similar pieces of jewelry, consider selling them all at once in a lot. You many not make as much money as you would have if you sold each item separately. However, the items will likely sell more quickly in a lot than they would individually.
Write a thorough description.
Including more details increases the likelihood of making a sale. Since the buyer can’t see the object in person before purchasing, give them as much information as possible so they feel like they know what they’re buying, If an item is used, be truthful and upfront about its condition.
- Proofread your description before publishing it.
- Write a descriptive title that provides information about the product, such as size, color or design.
Add high-quality pictures of the item.
Use several images that show the item from different angles. Remove all clutter from the background because it detract attention from the item you’re selling. Use natural lighting instead of a flash. Take close ups so people can see all the details of the item.
Provide excellent customer service.
Answer any questions buyers post as quickly as possible. Be professional and courteous. Positive communication builds your reputation with buyers and gets you return business. Also, package your product well and ship it out quickly. Allowing an item to become damaged or taking too long to ship can negatively affect your reputation among buyers. Wrap all items, especially fragile ones, in appropriate packaging. Commit to shipping items as soon as you receive payment.
Add New Question
How can I make money quickly?
You can join sites that hire people by simply Googling “Simple jobs online for money.” You shouldn’t expect to make more than a dollar with one job; also, be really careful about scam jobs and jobs that require your personal info (name, phone number, IP address) to register.
I gave some surveys my name, email, and IP address, but not my credit card info. Can I be charged?
Unless they use your info to hack/send out a scam, not really. However, don’t give your email or IP address to anyone you don’t know in the future.
What type of odd jobs can I do?
Write, research, edit, revise, tutor, develop online courses, teach English composition, teach public speaking, etc.
How do I receive payment for odd jobs online?
Paypal and Vimeo are both popular options. Many banks also offer online services.
Is it legal to make a scam?
A scam is a deception. In some cases it could be deemed illegal and punishable by law.
Is a bank account necessary for an online job?
Not necessarily, but it depends on the company that’s hiring you. In many cases, a PayPal account can be used to receive payments from an online job.
Will I get paid via bank account, or something else?
Your employer will have a payment method established and will explain it to you. It is often paid either through PayPal or direct deposit into your bank account.
Is it possible to make money if I write a wikiHow article?
No, wikiHow does not pay to have articles written.
I want to start selling my art and other miscellaneous items online. I do not want to sell them on the same website. Must I create my own website, or can I use eBay and Etsy?
You can absolutely use websites like eBay and Etsy! Try listing some items and making a professional Facebook page for yourself with a link to your eBay/Etsy pages. Then share the information with friends and family and get them to spread the word to people they know. Also, make sure that you have detailed descriptions and multiple pictures with anything you list online. This will help your listing show up in keyword searches, and you are more likely to sell something if the buyer knows a lot about what they are looking at.
Do online employers send pay from America to Africa?
Online employers would likely send payment online. If Africa has a different currency (which it does), then they would convert it online and you would be paid the equivalent with your local currency.
Show more answers
- How do I make money online as a tutor if I’m still in high school?
- What is the most effective GST software for use in India?
- How can I create my own website?
- How do I make money online with a job in Nigeria?
- Do I get taxed for earning money online?
Show more unanswered questions
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube.
One of the easiest ways to make money online is to register for paid survey websites where you can earn money for taking surveys. You can also search online for “website testing jobs” and get paid to record yourself testing websites. If you want something that pays better, become an online tutor or start an online freelance writing business. For more tips from our Entrepreneur co-author, like what kind of items you can sell online to make money, keep reading!
Did this summary help you?
This article was co-authored by Michael R. Lewis. Michael R. Lewis is a retired corporate executive, entrepreneur, and investment advisor in Texas. He has over 40 years of experience in Business & Finance.
Categories: Making Money Online
In other languages:
Français: se faire de l’argent en ligne, Italiano: Guadagnare Online, Español: ganar dinero en Internet, Português: Ganhar Dinheiro Online, Deutsch: Online Geld verdienen, Русский: заработать в интернете, 中文: 在网上赚钱, Bahasa Indonesia: Menghasilkan Uang Secara Online, Čeština: Jak vydělávat peníze online, Nederlands: Online geld verdienen, العربية: كسب المال بواسطة العمل عبر الإنترنت, Tiếng Việt: Kiếm tiền Trực tuyến, हिन्दी: ऑनलाइन पैसे कमाएँ (Online Paise Kaise Kamaye), 한국어: 온라인으로 돈 버는 법, ไทย: หาเงินออนไลน์, Türkçe: İnternet’ten Nasıl Para Kazanılır, 日本語: オンライン上でお金を稼ぐ
- Send fan mail to authors
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 7,871,833 times.
Did this article help you?