Take the first step in your weight loss journey. Complete our online form.
We recognize that losing weight is difficult and so is keeping it off. Being overweight not only causes harm to your health, but also your quality of life and the way you feel about yourself.
At the Vanderbilt Weight Loss Center, we offer comprehensive care to help you experience the joy of a healthy life. Our experts can help you develop a personalized approach to lose weight and get healthy for life.
Weight Loss: Why Choose Vanderbilt
- An experienced team. Our board-certified doctors are specially trained and experienced in all aspects of weight loss. Our specialists partner with you and a team of nurses, dietitians, exercise physiologists and psychologists to help you transform your life.
- Personalized care. We work with you to create a weight loss strategy designed to meet your unique needs and help you achieve your health goals. We personalize your weight loss plan based on your medical history and current health.
- Advancing research and treatments. As part of an academic medical center, our team is continually exploring new and innovative approaches for weight loss. To help you achieve life-changing results, we provide you with access to the latest proven treatment options.
- A comprehensive approach. We recognize that a weight loss journey is about more than just the physical aspects of health. That’s why we offer to connect you with our psychologists, support groups and other health resources.
- Long-term support. From your initial evaluation through appointments and follow-up support groups, our team is with you every step of the way. You’ll receive life-long guidance on lifestyle changes, nutrition education, exercise and medications for continued success.
- Responsive team. We want to make your experience as seamless and stress-free as possible. You can use our secure online portal, My Health at Vanderbilt, to contact your care team 24/7, schedule appointments, manage your medications and access your medical records.
- Access to a fitness facility. You can join the Vanderbilt Dayani Center for Health & Wellness (a medical fitness facility) for a reduced membership fee. As a member, you have access to a variety of classes and specialists to help you exercise safely on your own.
Weight Loss Programs
- Medical Weight Loss Program. This program is based on proven evidence-based approaches to care that deliver long-term results. Our team of experts will work with you to create a personalized weight loss strategy combining medical treatment, nutrition, exercise and psychological support.
- Surgical Weight Loss Program. For some patients, nutrition and lifestyle improvements alone may not always be enough to achieve a healthy weight. This program focuses on laparoscopic surgical procedures, such as Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and vertical sleeve gastrectomy. These procedures can be effective tools to help you reduce your weight and improve your overall health.
Conditions We Treat
- Obesity. Obesity is a chronic disease that increases your risk of serious health problems, including type 2 diabetes, joint pain, heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Obesity impacts a person through excess weight and weight-related health conditions. It is diagnosed by a measurement called the body mass index (BMI), a ratio of your height and weight. If you have a BMI of 30 or higher, you suffer from obesity and will benefit from treatment of this chronic disease.
Treatments We Offer
- Lifestyle modifications. Our team of physicians, dietitians, nurse practitioners and exercise physiologists work together to help you make lifestyle changes. You’ll have access to dietary and exercise assistance to support your weight loss goals.
- Medications. We work with you and your care team to monitor the ongoing effectiveness of your medications.
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. In Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery, your doctor makes a small pouch in your stomach and bypasses the first portion of the small intestine. You’ll feel a sense of fullness with this procedure. Additionally, you will experience a great reduction in appetite and absorb fewer calories.
- Vertical sleeve gastrectomy. In this procedure, your surgeon removes a part of your stomach — reducing its size by 70 to 80 percent. You will experience a sense of fullness with less food, along with a reduced appetite.
Body mass index (BMI) is a method of screening for a weight category using the ratio of your height to your weight. The result is used as an index of obesity. Calculate your BMI.
Vanderbilt Weight Loss Center
This clinic is an outpatient department of Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Vanderbilt Health One Hundred Oaks
719 Thompson Lane
Nashville, TN 37204
Map and Directions
Vanderbilt Weight Loss Center Clarksville
800 Weatherly Drive
Clarksville, TN 37043
Map and Directions
Vanderbilt Surgical Weight Loss Murfreesboro
1272 Garrison Drive
Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Map and Directions
Medical Weight Loss Team
Surgical Weight Loss Surgeons
Bariatric/Weight Loss Surgery, GI Surgery, General Surgery, Minimally Invasive Foregut Surgery, Surgical Weight Loss Surgery
Surgical Weight Loss Nurse Practitioners
For Referring Physicians
To arrange a consultation or make a referral to Vanderbilt Weight Loss Center, call (615) 322-6000.